Monday, June 8, 2009

Crack Cocaine Allusion Hidden in The Replacements "Can't Hardly Wait" Obvious in Justin Townes Earl's' Take

Sometimes song writers bury the meaning of a song in metaphor and allusion. One example came to my attention the other day; the lyrics follow under the video in case your not familiar with the tune. Something tells me The Replacements, under pressure from the motion picture industry, were forced to - or chose to - straighten-up the song to guarantee a specific censorship rating.

'Can't Hardly Wait' written by The Replacements




I'll write you a letter tomorrow
Tonight I can't hold a pen
Someone's got a stamp that I can borrow
I promise not to blow the address again

Lights that flash in the evening,
Through a crack in the drapes

Jesus rides beside me
He never buys any smokes
Hurry up, hurry up, ain't you had enough of this stuff
Ashtray floors, dirty clothes, and filthy jokes

See you're high and lonesome
Try and try and try

Lights that flash in the evening,
Through a hole in the drapes
I'll be home when I'm sleeping
I can't hardly wait

I can't wait. Hardly wait.



But while listening to Justin Townes Earl's' version on CBC 2 the other day I'm sure I heard these lyrics(changes in bold italics colour).

I'll write you a letter tomorrow
Tonight I can't hold a pen
Someone's got a stem that I can borrow
I promise not to blow the screen again

Lights that flash in the evening,
Through a crack in the drapes

Jesus rides beside me
He never buys any smoke_
Hurry up, hurry up, ain't you had enough of this stuff
Ashtray floors, dirty clothes, and filthy jokes

See you're high and lonesome
Try and try and try

Lights that flash in the evening,
Through a hole in the drapes
I'll be home when I'm sleeping
I can't hardly wait

I can't wait. Hardly wait.


Justin Townes Earl's' - 'Can't Hardly Wait'




It's a better song the second way.

Several references to the effects of the drug tie in with the 'stamp'/'stem' and address/screen re-write, (address doesn't even fit the rhythm of the melody):

  • "The crack in the drapes, Lights that flash in the evening," refers to the long bic lighter flickering that, from the outside of the house advertise the presence of a crack party;
  • "the hole in the drapes", specifically the attention to the details of security, refers to paranoia the drug infuses in long term users.
  • The lines "Hurry up, hurry up, ain't you had enough of this stuff, Ashtray floors, dirty clothes, and filthy jokes, See you're high and lonesome" are the lines in the song that first grabbed my attention,
  • "I'll be home when I'm sleeping" both refer to the drugs amphetamine effects.

Either I'm projecting or I've had too many coffee's this morning.
Comments always welcome.



mh

2 comments:

  1. Interesting observation. Either way it's still an awesome song.

    ReplyDelete