Monday, July 26, 2010

HOW TO BLOCK TYNT ON A PC OR MAC

Update: 10:08 AM Monday, July 26th 2010


Got this neat trick through Don McArthur.com...
..via Daring Fireball

"Over the last few months I've noticed an annoying trend on various web sites, generally major newspaper and magazine sites, but also certain weblogs. What happens is that when you select text from these web pages, the site uses JavaScript to report what you've copied to an analytics server and append an attribution URL to the text."

[...]

...Here's the line I added to the end of my /etc/hosts file

127.0.0.1 tcr.tynt.com

After saving the hosts file, Tynt's clipboard-altering nonsense is disabled on all Tynt-using websites I've encountered, no matter which browser I use...



So here's a screen print of my Windows XP - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS

To find easily in windows: click 'start' ---> click 'run' ---> paste above in the window ---> click 'OK'.

I've added the line at the bottom: 127.0.0.1 tcr.tynt.com

(click to see larger image)



Whoops! I'm not good at following simple instructions. The way this works is to add the code (127.0.0.1 tcr.tynt.com), to the BOTTOM of the list!

Then it works.



Thanks to:

Don McArthur.com

Daring Fireball

LifeHacker.com - "Geek to Live: Ban time-wasting web sites" by Gina Trapani



mh

No comments:

Post a Comment