Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Convenience Parking in the Dundas Bike Lane across from 55 Division


A Video Bicycle Ride
Convenience parking in Bike Lanes, just past busy intersections, is extremely dangerous for cyclists.
This short clip of me cycling the Dundas Bike Lanes at Coxwell on 05March2012, shows pretty well the experience of the cyclist when dealing with a parked van in the bike lane just past a busy intersection.
I’m a veteran cyclist – and I bike this route regularly – so I wasn’t surprised to see a car parked in this dangerous situation. As you can see in the video, I see it half a block before I get to the intersection – so I have time to decide what I’m going to do. (I decide to make a movie :)

What to Do?

Cyclist:
The best thing to do in this situation – if your lucky enough to notice it soon enough – is to change lanes well before the intersection, and take the middle of the centre lane through the intersection. If cars start honking at you use your left hand to signal a stop sign and continue calmly. Once they see the parked car in the bike lane they’ll wish they hadn’t done that.
Convenience Stopper / Parker:
For automobile drivers – if you can, if it’s not too far to walk for you, could you please pull your car as far up as you can from the corner – it gives unsuspecting cyclists time to change lanes or stop before they hit your car – or die in a collision.
Civil Society:
For the Toronto Police Services Board – could you please see to it that Officers enforce the Bike Lane no parking laws?


See more (and soon more) ‘Video Bicycle Rides’ at my Youtube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/michaelholloway111/videos


Reposted from @Blog_FreeWheel - my cycling Blog at BikingToronto.com
(http://bikingtoronto.com/michaelhollowayblog/2012/03/06/convenience-parking-in-the-dundas-bike-lane-across-from-55-division/)



mh

No comments:

Post a Comment